Industrial Fellowship Scheme - 2014 Applications Open!
The first call for 2014 Industrial Fellowship Scheme grants is now open! Lecturers can apply for £1500 or more each to enable them to take up a short placement within industry or a local university, or to take part in technical training. This is a fabulous opportunity for creating new partnerships and strengthening STEM provision.
The IFS grant can be used to support professional updating for the individual lecturer, or support changes in planned curriculum at the college. The placements can be flexible: a single host or multiple placements/training, in one block of 2 to 3 weeks or one day a week for several weeks.
The theme for 2014 is “Collaborative Digital Innovation in STEM”.
This theme focusses on IT and computing as a cross-sectoral market: digital technologies and their associated skills are now embedded across all industry. Examples include:
- Assistive technologies (e.g. care)
- Building Information Modelling
- Cloud and the Internet of Things and related embedded technologies
- Computer aided design for manufacturing and construction
- Computing and control for automation, building and transport systems
- Data Science / Data Engineering
- GIT Distributed Revision Control and Source Code Management (SCM)
- Intelligent Mobility
- Smart fibres and materials including textiles and wearable technologies
- Virtual environments for advanced user experience (such as augmented reality in retail, leisure and communication)
We wish to encourage multi-disciplinary, cross-curricular approaches to teaching and learning of skills for the digital age, with the potential for innovative curriculum and delivery linked to the needs of industry. Applications coordinated across multiple colleges will be of particular interest.
Applications outside this theme will also be welcomed.
"I found the IFS experience to be highly rewarding and an eye-opener to me! I learned a lot about what it is like to work in an industrial laboratory, and can now use my experiences to inform learners and peers about this type of work. Thank you very much to NEF for the funding and support, and to ALS Eclipse Lab for the placement opportunity
." Lizzie Maciag, Peterborough Regional College, 2013
The application form and guidance notes are available from: www.thenef.org.uk/ifs
. If you have any questions please contact us on: email@example.com
or call 020 8786 3677